Sunday, June 21, 2020

The Poet of the Future: Ovid













The Poet of the Future
My work is finished now: no wrath of Jove
nor sword nor fire nor futurity
is capable of laying waste of it.
Let that day come then, when it wishes to,
which only has my body in its power,
and put and end to my uncertain years;
no matter, for in spirit I will be
borne up to soar beyond the distant stars,
immortal in the name I leave behind;
wherever Roman governance extends
over the subject nations of the world,
my words will be upon the people's lips,
and if there is truth in poet's prophesies,
then in my fame forever I will live.
(Translated by Charles Martin)


Poeta del futuro
Ya mi obra está terminada y ni la furia del dios
ni una espada, ni el fuego ni el futuro
podrán convertirla en nada.
Que venga cuando quiera el día
que, teniendo solamente poder sobre mi cuerpo,
ponga fin a mis inciertos días;
no importa, porque mi espíritu
se alzará más allá de las estrellas,
inmortal en el nombre que dejo;
y donde el poder de Roma se extienda 
sobre las naciones del mundo
mis palabras estarán en los labios de la gente.
Si son verdad las profesías de los poetas,
viviré entonces en mi fama para siempre. 




No comments:

Post a Comment