Wednesday, June 24, 2020

Abd al-Rahman's Palm Tree

A palm tree I beheld in Ar-Rusafa
Far in the West, far from the palm-tree land:
I said: You, like myself, are far away, in a strange land;
How long have I been far away from my people!
You grew up in a land where you are a stranger,
And like myself, are living in the farthest corner of the earth:
May the morning clouds refresh you at this distance,
And may abundant rains comfort you forever!













Vi en Ar-Rusafa una palmera
alejada en el oeste, lejos del lugar de las palmeras.
--Tú, como yo--le dije--estás muy lejos, en una tierra ajena.
¡Cuánto tiempo he estado lejos de mi gente!
Has crecido en un país en que eres extranjera,
y como yo, vives en el rincón más lejano del mundo:
Que en esta lejanía te refresquen las nubes matutinas
y que lluvias abundantes te conforten para siempre.

No comments:

Post a Comment