Monday, May 18, 2020

"Sister" by Rebecca Bowman


Standing near the garbage cans 
That smell of dirt, of eucalyptus
Of old banana peels
Our lonely dog barking behind the fence 
You said I’d told a lie
That when you tell one
Your soul is stained forever
That it’ll never wash out
I was surprised
It was, I think
The first time I felt regret
Remorse, fear
I don’t remember what lie I was supposed to have told
Just the squeeze around my heart
Knowing I was no longer pure
I was three
You eleven
And what you said you too believed
We were both stuck in that circle
Of control and reproach
Our Church gave us
Today I say
That three-year-old
Was blameless
She was beautiful
And still is
And I curse that instinct 
Man has
To try to determine
The value of others

Painting by Rebecca Bowman

1 comment:

  1. It is far better to live a truthful life than to point fingers - but the categorical imperative is harder to live up to.

    ReplyDelete